Pages

Friday, March 5, 2010

Follow your Passion

‘Leading Big’ is an initiative started by Avaya, wherein people from prominent fields share their thoughts for an hour with Employees of Avaya.
On 26th Feb, I was fortunate to attend the session. Aparna Phanshikar was gonna talk on ‘Follow your Passion’.
It was a Friday and wanted to spend some time away from work.
I had no clue, who she was, so visited her site—www.aparnapanshikar.com.
Aparna is a Hidustani Classical vocalist. Born to a family renowned for achievements in various forms of Art.



I was not sure, if I could attend 1 hr session, listening to such renowned persons, usually such talks don’t retain the crowd, so caught up with a last row seat…..(so that I can move out quietly if I cant resist it…)

The room got packed with people sooner and Aparna along with her Hubby (Nikhil Joshi) entered, and took their seats.
She being, a singer was feeling odd in between the crowd of geeks….

She started the session with a short, beautiful ‘Gurushakshat’ prayer based on some raga.
I loved it, this the first time, I was hearing a song live……
Sweet voice, reached all hearts seated there, no mike, but the song could be heard and felt, it was a lovely experience, wished the song didn’t stop for ever and felt like losing self in it.
Her husband is an Elex Engg and started unfolding her life, telling us about her famly background, and how she followed her passion..

Aparna’s uncle Prabhakar Panshikar is a renowned marathi actor, her mom Mira Panshikar is a famous Classical vocalist.
Though she belonged to such family, it came as a surprise to me that she did not start singing since 2 yrs, but it was after her SSC(10th Std) that she actually chose classical singing and followed it as a passion.

She told us about her various foreign tours and her unforgettable Kabul visit.
She enjoys spreading the joy, peace to people across world through her songs.
She feels spiritual, as though god sings and experienced the divine feeling, couple of times.
She concluded the session with the famous ghazal (Aaj jaane ki jidh na kara – Farida Khuyam). Lovely song and I was lucky to hear this song from Aparna.
I believe music relieves you from your stress, especially such soft, slow classical songs.
It was a memorable time for me.
I just did not realize how that 1 hr passed and it was time to leave.

Some of the thoughts that I could catch from her session/talks:
1. It is never late to attain your passion. You only require that will and love for it to follow it seamlessly.
2. There will be number of obstacles that you will face, but it is up to us, whether we fight it or fall prey to it and give up.
3. It requires years of hard work and patience to follow your passion.
Aparna’s voice was so sweet, sharpened, which was a result of years of daily riyaaz.

A person who lives with his/her passion is said to be the happiest person.
Aparna followed her passion and made a career out of what she likes to do best—Singing!!.....I could see the shine in her face, since she was living with her passion….grt 

I love creativity, either that is through programming (create an app) or showing creativity through collages, painting, sketching…..
I love learning new things…..
I enjoy doing such stuffs, they give me the pleasure, happiness and I don’t realize when I forget myself doing these things. This is, like following your passion for me.
I love teaching ,just enjoy the feeling when I teach Maths (my fav subject) to school students. I am fortunate to be a part of Great Foundation, where we teach 9th & 10th students Maths and English.

I am living the present, following my passion of learning, teaching and doing creative stuffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment